Brief Historical Background
- Executive Order No. 220 issued on July 10, 1987 by Pres. Corazon Aquino to implement Section 1 Article 10 of the 1987 Constitution creating the Cordillera Administrative Region. Prior to the implementation of E.O. 220, the DENR-CAR was non-existent.
- Executive Order 192 dated June 10, 1987 directs the reorganization of the Dept. of Natural Resources into the Dept. of Environment and Natural Resources – 5 sectoral offices were setup.
- DENR Administrative Order (DAO) No. 1 Series of 1988 made the Mines and Geosciences Bureau into a staff bureau.
- Republic Act No. 7942 approved last March 3, 1995 and took effect last April 10, 1995 transformed the Staff Mines and Geosciences Bureau into a line bureau;
- The Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB) became the Central Office of the bureau while the Mines and Geosciences Development Services Regional Offices created pursuant to DAO No. 41, series of 1990, became the regional offices of the same Bureau.
Thus, MGB is comprised of a Central Office and the necessary regional offices with a Director and Regional Directors respectively reporting to the Secretary of the DENR.